Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Showing MOST acute HIV symptoms following 'low' risk
Nov 20, 2012

18 days ago, following what was an intended happy hand massage only, I had 10 seconds, very shallow (no skin contact) and protected sex before guilt stopped me, with a high risk Thai masseuse. Just prior to this, she had placed my finger on her clitoris, and in a stupid reflex I put my finger to my tongue to wet it. I tasted vaginal fluid for a few minutes, during which time she tried to give me a rough hand job that I very quickly got sick of. She removed the condom part way through this. I showered thoroughly, rinsed my mouth a lot and left feeling awful. I found an ulcer on my upper lip, perhaps open.

My symptoms: after 1 day, I had 2 days of chills, a fever and headaches, a dripping nose. Day 10: Sore red throat, no white marks. No appetite. By Day 17: Rumbly stomach, swollen glands in arms and groin, Sore testicles, a week of fever and chills, some night sweats, clogged nose on and off. My sore throat has almost gone but I have more ulcers again. I've Lost 5kg, and have huge anxiety.

Do I have an exposure risk I should be this panicked about? Would this risk have been high enough to warrant PEP's? Can you tell me what it might be, other than ARS? Could they all be from google anxiety? I have to wait a week where I am living before I can get tested and the stress may do me in first.

Response from Mr. Glenn

You have no risk for HIV from the situation you described.

Let me be very clear: BEHAVIORS can be risky not PEOPLE.

The question is whether or not your behavior was risky. The answer is no. From our perspective this is very straight forward.

Your sex was protected. No risk. The mouth is not a good way to get HIV, even if you sucked on a little vaginal fluid. No risk. Hand jobs do not transmit HIV. No risk.

I hope this all helps!

Erik

Previous
Wounds and bleeding scratches when playing sports
Next
Fell over in a bar my glass smashed and cut my wrist, could i get infected?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.