Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Paranoid Over Bed Sheets
Nov 20, 2012

The Body:

Thank-you so much for the wonderful work you do answering the questions of all us worriers. I have a question regarding dried blood on hotel room sheets. Normally, I check the linens out before I sleep, but I failed to do so last night. When I awoke I discovered a small pea-sized dried blood spot about a quarter ways up from the foot of the bed. This would put the spot near my knees to lower thigh. I know for sure the blood was not mine.

My concern is that I do not wear clothing while I sleep and have a rash on my body at the moment. If the housekeeper did not actually wash the sheets and this dried blood spot was from the previous guest am I at risk for HIV, Hepatitis or another disease? I know if the sheets ran through the washing cycle than I am fine. My other concern is that before noticing the spot I did brush my teeth and put my contacts in. If my hands touched the spot and I touched my contacts or toothbrush; could I have spread something to myself this way? Do I need to throw out my contact lenses and hygiene items? I would so appreciate it if you could answer these three questions. Thank-you.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk from the situation you're talking about. Dried blood does not transmit HIV. And while dried blood can transmit Hepatitis B and C, it would still need to get inside your body. That's only going to happen if that dried blood is "forced" inside a cut, sore, or other significant opening into your body. That's not going to happen casually or by accident.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Finger sucking with blood from mouth
Next
I am male 30 year, am I infected?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.