What is my chance of contracting hiv?

Hi.

I am a medical technologist in a hospital. I was drawing blood on a patient once when i accidentally pricked my thumb. The needle pricked me with just the tip. Is there a chance that i man get hiv even if the hollow part of the needle did not get in my skin?

Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- While some occupational needle sticks are less risky, if you were truly stuck and there was the potential for direct transmission of blood from the patient into you then it is "possible" for you to acquire HIV (or other blood borne infections such as Hepatitis B or C). I would immediately go to your occupational health so that they can do a more thorough evaluation then the one I can do on this site. THey can then recommend further testing or treatment based on a risk assessment. Take care, LHW

Is the PEP they gave me legit?
asking about hiv