Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confused about my hiv testing results
Nov 12, 2012

Hi, I was tested for hiv with a pregancy I had in febuary 2012 and that one was neggitive. We'll I lost that baby at 11wks, in march od 2012. I than got pregnant again in july 2012 and received a small dose of a rohgam shot because I am rh neggitive to help with my current pregnany. I tested neggitive again on my prenatal hiv panel in the middle of August 2012. I than switch ob's ad he did another pernatal panel that included an hiv test and it came back possitive elisa and indeterminate western blot with p24, p55, p51,gp40 with an hiv index of 1.83. I than had to switch ob's again and was retested in the begining of sept.2012. I had a neggitive elisa and a neggitive pcr. I than wanted for myself to be retested in the end of oct. 2012 and that one came back positve with a hive index of 1.32 and an indeterminate western blot with the same antigen bands as before. I am so confused and half way through my pregnancy and am worried for my baby. What do you think is happening? Am I seroconverting or is my pregnancy messing with my lab results and are the bands of antigens I have hiv related or could they be from something else? "Please let me know what you think? Oh I've had the same partner for 2yrs and since than we have only been with eachother incase that matters at all.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there I think that you are exactly right and that are having a false positive result on your testing due to the pregnancies. To reassure yourself and allay your fears you could do a PCR (viral load test). If this is negative (which I'm sure it will be) you can stop worrying once and for all. Hope this helps. Take care, LHW

Previous
vaginal burning
Next
Still worried and scared

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.