Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CCR5 delta 32 mutation testing?
Nov 10, 2012

I am the negative half of a magnetic couple. I had unprotected sex with my wife for 3 years before we learned that she was positive a few months ago. I am an Ashkenazi Jew and would like to get tested for the delta mutation. Searching online, I have only found two sites claiming to sell the test but both are broken on the Purchase page. I asked my wife's doctor and he was familiar with the mutation but unfamiliar with where to get the test performed. Do you have any resources??

Part two of my question is statistical. If my wife gets down to an undetectable viral load, what is my statistical chance of getting infected from unprotected regular vaginal sex? What is the statistic if she is undetectable and I have 1 mutated CCR5? Two?

I know I may be asking the impossible on the stats, they may not exist for the mutation scenarios.

Response from Dr. Wohl

You should be able to find out if you have the CCR5 delta 32 mutation (either completely or partially) but how will that help you? It sounds like what you are trying to figure out is whether you and your wife can have sex without condoms.

If you were CCR5 homozygous for the deletion, would that make you feel safe enough to forgo protection?

You are correct that her viral load is important and maybe just as much as your own susceptibility to HIV. If her viral load is undetectable her ability to transmit HIV to you is very very low. We know this from a few studies including a large trial involving magnetic couples.

We also know that men taking Truvada were protected from infection from other men. So, that mast be considered an option as well.

Overall, you need to determine what you would do with the information before pursuing the test. If the test informs your decision making, go for it. I am sure that any major HIV care center can arrange this for you. It may cost but it can be done.

DW

Previous
Please help me know about risk of my sexual behavior !!
Next
Hiv from stool

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.