Late intake of Truvada and Kaletra

Doctor, I'm about to finish my second month of treatment (1 Truvada and 2 Kaletra at 8 am, 2 Kaletra at 8 pm). Had my CD4 cells and viral load tests 10 days ago and there was notorious improvement.

I took my morning Truvada and Kaletra two hours late, two days in a row (took them at 10 am on saturday and 9:40 am on sunday). Will there be any problems regarding resistance?

Thanks!

Bravo on doing a great job taking your medications. A two hour delay in taking your medications will not harm you. I would say you have a window of time around each of your medication doses during which you can take the medications without any concerns.

For Truvada, this medication is once a day and lasts a long time in the system. Therefore, it is a bit more forgiving when it comes to dosing. However, like Kaletra, I recommend not waiting for more than two hours past your usual dose time to take it.

Now, if it is 3 hours past that time, should you take your Truvada and Kaletra? Yes. In fact for Truvada you really just want to avoid taking it to close to your next dose. There are no hard and fast rule and you should get your doctor's opinion, but I recommend not taking the Truvada if you are within 18 hours of your next dose.

For Kaletra, this is taken twice a day so it is a bit different. If you are within 6 hours of your next dose you can skip taking the make-up dose and just take your second of the day dose as you normally would. Talk with your doctor about taking Kaletra 4 pills once a day as many people do that - provided they can tolerate it.

So, keep doing what you are doing and try to stay within windows around your dosing.

hiv virus
evolution