Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IS THERE RISK FOR INFECTION AT THE DENTIST IF DENTIST REUSED HIS SURGICAL MASK
Nov 7, 2012

I recently went to the dentist to have a regular cleaning procedure done. Almost to the end of the procedure, I realized some brownish stains on the dentist's surgical mask. It looked like dried blood or could be makeup, I could not determine for sure. The fact that whatever it was did not appear wet on the mask i assumed it was not from me and probably he reused his mask from the previous patient. Since it was during the procedure I recognized this, the doctor already touched the mask with his gloved hand and touched the inner parts of my mouth while maneuvering his instruments to get a better view and angle for cleaning. Since it was during the middle of cleaning my gums were already bleeding.

Assuming the worse case scenario, that the stain was blood and the blood is HIV infected could I get infected if the doctor touched that area of the mask with his hands and then placed his hands in my mouth? The time lapse between the patient prior to me leaving the chair and me starting my procedure was roughly 10-15 minutes.

Response from Dr. Wohl

There is no risk here. This is not a way HIV can be transmitted.

DW

Previous
Will Truvada Help Me?
Next
Side effect of Truvada and Isentress

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.