Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will Truvada Help Me?
Nov 7, 2012

I had unprotected anal sex with a man that has HIV. His load is undetectable though. He topped me and there was not a lot of semen. This was a 1-time only thing and I will NEVER risk it again. I'm worried he might have infected me. Anyways, after talking to him, he told me I should take Truvada. He said even if I did get the virus, Truvada will destroy it before I get HIV. I know you are supposed to get them from a doctor but I'm 18 with no way of getting to one without my parents. I'm not on any meds at all with no health conditions. Is it OK for me to take Truvada for the 28 days like he told me? Is it safe? And will it prevent me from getting HIV? I need to know ASAP. Please help, and thank you for reading.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Truvada has been used to prevent HIV infection in two major ways:

First, is Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) - that is taking the medication daily to prevent infection during exposures that occur while on the drug.

Second, is Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) - this is what you are talking about and involves starting the medication after an exposure.

For PEP to be effective, it has to be started very early after the exposure. We are talking hours not days. In animal models of infection, effectiveness of PEP really suffers as the delay in initiation increases. Most experts feel that after 3 days there is no use to starting PEP. Additionally, many also now accept that Truvada alone may not be sufficient for PEP and that adding a third drug is better. If it has been within 3 days of your exposure you should be able to discuss PEP with someone at a public STD clinic (if you are in the US or Europe) and probably get a supply of PEP.

In your case, the odds are in your favor anyway. If your partner really has an undetectable HIV level, his ability to transmit the virus to you is low. Regardless, this is what you need to do: get an HIV test now and again in 4 to 6 weeks, get tested for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia (swab of butt and throat and testing of your urine), buy condoms.

DW

Previous
Big tummy due to ARV's
Next
IS THERE RISK FOR INFECTION AT THE DENTIST IF DENTIST REUSED HIS SURGICAL MASK

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.