Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Condom slipped off before ejactulation
Nov 4, 2012

Hi - I'm a positive 70 yr old male. Undetectable for 6 years and CD4 in the 900's. While having protected sex today with my 70 yr old wife, the condom slipped off inside her and I ejactulated inside her. I assume not in the condom as after she fished it out of her vagina, there was little semen inside the condom. My normal amount of semen is somewhat small (doesn't normally even fill 1/2 of the condom reservoir).

My question is - should my wife start Atripla (I have extra pills) or just wait for her annual HIV test in 3 months?

I understand the risk of unprotected transmission of HIV from a positive male to female is slightly under 1% and a male with an undetectable VL is much less.

Thanks for all your good work and advice.

CL

Response from Ms. Southall

Hi You are correct that HIV transmission from someone who has an undetectable viral load is decreased by up to 96%. My recommendation would be to get tested in 3-4 weeks and then again at 90 days. My husband is negative and he gets tested about every 6 months. You can talk to your healthcare provider about PreP, the use of Truvada has been approved for use for someone is HIV negative to prevent transmission.

Be well, Shannon

Previous
multiple hiv exposures but still neg
Next
hiv transmission

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.