The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

private insurance and HIV

Oct 31, 2012

I am 100%sure that I am infected by HIV without taking my blood report .But if i try to get private health insurance, can i buy and treat HIV ?I gave blood to test for HIV 3 weeks ago.But I donot know the result.But insurance company know about the result in underwriting through MSB and may decline to sell in that situation how can I start treatment.

Response from Mr. Chambers

Richard, if you are HIV+, it is doubtful that you will be able to get health insurance, but that depends on where you live. Very few states require insurance companies to accept everyone, but that is a very small number. Some states put restrictions on carriers, such as prohibiting testing and prohibiting asking about testing for HIV, positive or negative. However, in the vast majority of states, you will be turned down once they know you are HIV+.

The Medical Information Bureau (MIB, a consortium of life insurance companies)only has information on persons who have applied for life or health insurance in the past seven years. Also, insurance companies are prohibited from using the information in MIB as the basis to decline a claim. They can, however, choose to look further into the applicant's health history if they find something in the MIB.

It may not be much of a consolation, but beginning January 1, 2014, insurance companies will have to sell health insurance to anyone who applies.

Good luck, Jacques

Barber shop
Please help Dr. Glenn - Fish Pedicure

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint