Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i had sex for the first time
Oct 30, 2012

hey doctor i was at my friends place and we only had oral sex for a while. he claims that he never had sex before he is only 17 and is from a strict christian background. but some how even though i dont feel any of the symptons i am just scared that i may have hiv. later on we had anal sex for 20 seconds then we stopped he also claims to not have hiv what do you think.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

Oral sex is considered very low risk for HIV. The anal sex you're describing also sounds on the low risk side. This is because of how shortly the penis was inside the butt.

I can't technically say that there's "no risk" for HIV from this situation, but it does sound like the odds are very much in your favor. We would suggest that you, like all sexually active people, get tested for HIV/STDs on a regular basis. How regular depends on how much sex you end up having. Since you just had sex for the first time, it can be good to find a clinic to get your HIV/STDs checkup so that you get familiar with the process.

For all people who are having sex, there's so much to learn about how to keep you and your partner safe. You're already doing a couple of those things now (asking questions on this forum and talking to your partner about his status - to make this even more helpful in the future, ask him before you have sex).

Check out our articles on Safe Sex on this website to learn more! Feel free to ask us more questions too!!

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
in mental pain
Next
additional question relative to bed sheets

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.