Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I get HIV or hepatitis from this?
Oct 30, 2012

So I was at an after-hours club and got in a confrontation with this guy. Won't go into details about it because it is irrelevant. Towards the end of the argument he grabbe me by the arm. I thought it was just so I couldn't walk away from what he was telling me, and was looking up at his face. But then I felt a very sharp pain in my arm as if I had been poked by something and immediatly shook him off me and he walked away. I brushed it off as a muscle pain and left soon after. The next day I noticed that there was a puncture on the same arm he grabbed me by. It looked EXACTLY like a mark that I would get by getting my blood taken at the hospital. It had a small scab of dried blood in the center and was visible for about a week to a week and a half after. There is nothing else that could have given me this mark, i havent been to the dr in a long time and i wasnt around anything that could have accidentally done this. It happened to be on the inside of my arm, opposite my elbow where the crease is. Exactly where blood is normally taken from. How concerned should I be? It hasn't been 3 months yet and I don't see the point of getting tested before then. Do you have any advice for me of what to do in a situation like this?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your argument. However, it sounds like you're letting your imagination and nerves get the best of you.

We would have to make many many assumptions and leaps to even begin talking about risk. I'm tempted to say it sounds like you're looking for HIV.

Many times when our anxiety gets the better of us we end up looking for something like HIV, which in situations like this really doesn't sound like it's there. Things like HIV, when we know how they're transmitted, don't need us to look for them. The risk will be staring us in the face.

For there to be any risk, the guy would've needed to literally take a needle filled with HIV+ blood and stick you in the arm. What are the odds that all of these things took place. At that point we might as well be worried about you getting struck by lightning on a sunny day.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Semen on Anus GLENN! I NEED YOU INSIGHT
Next
HIV Risk & Testing

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.