Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's my HIV risk...cut on hand....
Oct 30, 2012

A few days ago I was on vacation. I was retrieving my luggage from the people at the hotel that hold your luggage. When he got my bag for me and I gave him a tip his thumb touched my thumb. Now my hands were really dry at this point and after he gave me my suitcase I went into it to get moisturizer. While I did this my knuckles started to bleed (because I must have made a fist and they were so dry, it was like a little 1 by 1 millimeter cut on each knuckle) I saw them bleeding and Immediateely put moisturizer on them to soften them up.

What is my HIV risk if the guy who touched my thumb had a cut on his thumb and passed his blood onto my thumb and then I used my thumb to put moisturuzer on my hands which had open cuts on them like 30 seconds later??? Please help me , im so scared about this... I dont know for sure if the guy had an open cut on his thumb, just assuming he may have

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is simply no risk for HIV from this situation. You can't get HIV from casual situations. This can't be repeated enough.

For HIV to transmit there needs to be HIV positive body fluid coming out of someone's body and going directly/immediately inside of your body. This just didn't have the chance to happen in your case.

Your "cut" (which was actually just a break in the skin), was so incredibly minor. We're not even sure you had it when you touched the attendant. In either case it wouldn't have mattered. There wasn't a significant amount of blood (if there was any at all). There wasn't a significant way into the body (if there was any at all).

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
Please, I don't want to end up in a white rubber room?
Next
aids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.