Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV-Rapid tests and multiple false negatives?
Oct 28, 2012

Hi,

I had a potential exposure to HIV last year Nov (sexualy encounter), and had my tonsils become inflammed (though I did have a history of chronic tonsilitis), was sick for a weekish and my cervical lymph nodes swelled, 3cms being the largest. I visited an ENT for for advice 6 months later, she suggested tonsillectomy and HIV test. I had the tonsillectomy, the lymph nodes decreased in size (now only 1cm bilaterally, I was warned they may not return to there orignal size due to hyperplasia), though I did not get the HIV test as I was scared. Instead I got a Rapid HIV from ICARE a USAID approved product and tested myself, 3 times btw 6 to 9 months post possible exposure. All were negative, Should I be concerned, is it likely there could be 3 false negatives? The histology report for my tonsillectomy, describe that there was massive scarring with very little lymphatic tissue left, though no celluar atypia present, I have read this can co-incide with what HIV can do, however I have had a history of tonsil infections. Should I be concerned at all, or am I in the clear with these 3 rapid HIV tests?

Response from Dr. Wohl

If the tests were performed according to the instructions they should be accurate. Results of studies of the new home based rapid test show that accuracy falls do to user error (not because or a problem with the test itself).

The best test for HIV is a blood test and I would get one done if all these three rapid tests were performed by you and not a professional.

DW

Previous
HIV scare. Gonorrhea positive.
Next
accidently swapped toothbrush with my mom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.