Unprotected sex with HIV positive girl

Hello doctor David, First of all, congratulations to "The Body" for this forum, where a lot of people share their own experiences, which therefore results in a lot of valuable information about HIV.

My situation: i had unprotected sex with a girl several times during 3 days, before knowing she is HIV positive (last time i had unprotected sex with her was exactly 8,5 weeks ago). She also did not know about her status. Two days after my last exposure, I was put on PEP, and i completed the full course of the treatment (30 days). I did a rapid antibody test (VIKIA HIV) 8 weeks after last exposure, exactly 3 weeks and 3 days after finishing PEP.

My questions: 1. I have read a lot of information where people say that PEP inhibits antibody production, but my doctor says otherwise. For him, regardless PEP, and in case PEP fails, antibodies are still in the blood and thus the tests can detect it: thus, according to him this test that I did 8 weeks after exposure is very accurate (even though not conclusive). Anyway, he recommended me to return for a final result 12 weeks after exposure. Considering the contradicting information available about the effect of PEP on HIV testing window, I would like to ask your opinion on how good is this result that i got 8 weeks after exposure?

2. In addition, do you have an ideia of when are antibodies usually detected in the blood of someone who took PEP, but which treatment was innefective? (generally speaking, ofcourse).

Thank you very much for your help doctor.

Best regards

I agree completely with your doctor. You do not have HIV infection without the production of an antibody response. If the medications used in PEP fail, then the virus replicates and the body responds with HIV antibody production.

Of course, this does not occur overnight and it takes days to weeks for antibodies to be produced and then be measurable in the blood. I think getting a test at 12 weeks after exposure despite the PEP makes sense and will be conclusive.

Re : urgent question
On Day 7 of PEP: Question About Testing - WILL DONATE