Protein in urine

I just had blood labs and a 24 hour urine test done and it's come back with results that I don't understand. IgG: 3680mg/dl; albumin: 3.0g/dl; total protein: 8.8g/dl; urine total protein: 144.0 mg/tv. It shows on the paperwork from the lab that my protein levels are high. What does all of this mean? I have HIV and Hep C.

Protein in the urine is a sign that the kidney is not functioning perfectly. Protein is valuable and hard won (well used to be when our fore bearers had to chase and slay large game). Therefore, our bodies covert protein and try not to waste it. When protein spills into the urine it means the kidneys when filtering the blood of waste allowed protein to slip through.

In people with HIV, protein in the urine may be due to HIV itself (especially in African-Americans), but could also be a result of other common diseased including hypertension and diabetes. Tenofovir a drug used to treat HIV may also contribute to protein in the urine.

If the protein level in the urine is low, usually there is little to be done. Many kidney doctors would recommend use of a blood pressure medication in a class of drugs called ACE inhibitors that can work to protect the kidneys when there is this kind of damage. Use of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (like Motrin, Advil, aspirin but not Tylenol) should be limited.

So, speak with your doctor about the implications of the protein found and whether there is anything he or she recommends you do as far as therapy.

Looking Back.
duda sobre mis cd4