HIV Positive at school blood drive (Red Cross) Help!!

I recently gave blood at a blood drive for school this year and received a letter in the mail from Red Cross a few weeks later stating that I tested negative for every infection but screened positive for HIV1/HIV2..... The letter also stated that "upon additional testing, it concluded a negative result, and indicated that there was in fact, no infection present" (Or something VERY similar along those lines). I had unprotected sex 14 months before giving blood and had no sex since then up until giving blood at the blood drive. Is there any way I could have received a false-negative result even after 14 months? What exactly is the "additional testing" method used by the Red Cross for school blood drives? IFA? Western Blot? A second ELISA? I have not received any additional testing since this incident, assuming I was fine due to the amount of time that had passed before giving blood, but lately I have been extremely worried. Please help!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From the description you're giving, it sounds like the tests they ran came back "preliminary positive." When they ran the "confirmatory test" it proved that the whole sample was negative.

What this means in plain English is that they did what happens with all HIV tests that come back positive, they ran a second test to make sure. And it all came back negative. This is why we do another test to confirm the status of the person.

All that makes it sound like you're good to go. Feel free to take your own test to back all this up. This might put your mind at ease, since you'll have complete control over the testing.

Hope this helps!

Erik

HIV transmission (non-sexual contact)
Pre-Cum and ripped condom