Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Positive at school blood drive (Red Cross) Help!!
Oct 24, 2012

I recently gave blood at a blood drive for school this year and received a letter in the mail from Red Cross a few weeks later stating that I tested negative for every infection but screened positive for HIV1/HIV2..... The letter also stated that "upon additional testing, it concluded a negative result, and indicated that there was in fact, no infection present" (Or something VERY similar along those lines). I had unprotected sex 14 months before giving blood and had no sex since then up until giving blood at the blood drive. Is there any way I could have received a false-negative result even after 14 months? What exactly is the "additional testing" method used by the Red Cross for school blood drives? IFA? Western Blot? A second ELISA? I have not received any additional testing since this incident, assuming I was fine due to the amount of time that had passed before giving blood, but lately I have been extremely worried. Please help!

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From the description you're giving, it sounds like the tests they ran came back "preliminary positive." When they ran the "confirmatory test" it proved that the whole sample was negative.

What this means in plain English is that they did what happens with all HIV tests that come back positive, they ran a second test to make sure. And it all came back negative. This is why we do another test to confirm the status of the person.

All that makes it sound like you're good to go. Feel free to take your own test to back all this up. This might put your mind at ease, since you'll have complete control over the testing.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Previous
HIV transmission (non-sexual contact)
Next
Pre-Cum and ripped condom

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.