HIV transmission (non-sexual contact)

My 5 year old son tried to put his hand in a "Sharps" disposal container at pharmacy. I do not believe he touched any of the needles inside which were the retractable type but he defintely touched the plstic on the entrance to the container. I redirected him but did not get any santizer on his hands before the dr. came in and then saw he had unwrapped and was eating candy with his hand that potentially could have been contaminated. I was especially worried becaus ehe had just had a dental cleaning and his gums could have had small lacerations. It had been a busy day at the immunization clinic and I fearthat many needles had recently been disposed of that day. Did not know if my child would be at risk for exposure to HIV after touching that surface and then ingesting candy with the same hand. Should I have him tested?

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is no risk from the situation you're talking about. None. It's very important to remember: HIV is not really an easy virus to get. If it were easy then everyone would have it (which they don't!)

It sounds like your son did not even pierce his finger with a needle!

Hope this helps!

Erik

Broken condom unkown partner status
HIV Positive at school blood drive (Red Cross) Help!!