Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Broken condom unkown partner status
Oct 24, 2012

8 days ago I had sex with a guy whom HIV status is unkown to me. We started by having safe sex, but in a change of position I noticed that the condom broke. I change the condom right away since I was active. We were using water base lubricant, and I am always check that the condom does not have air in it, so I dont know why it broke. Anyways, I asked my partner about his clinical history and he said that he had checked himself 3month ago and that he was clean of any STD. He told me that he always have safe sex and that he is mostly a top. I asked him if he would go and get a quick HIV test with me but he refused it by saying that he know people on the health care industry (cause he work in a hospital) and that he does want to be exposed. He told me he would get tested at a regular doctors' visit and he would let me know about the results. Is this a high risk situation? he was not bleeding when we were having penetration. I am worry. Thanks for the help. What are the probabilities of getting hiv by being an anal active?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Overall, I'd say that the likelihood of HIV transmission was fairly low. Here is why:

1. You were the insertive partner. The insertive/active partner is at a much lower risk than the receptive/passive partner.

2. You started with a condom, and ended with a condom. The amount of time that you were at a higher risk is unknown, but it was likely not too long.

3. He self-reported as being HIV negative as of three months ago. This does not eliminate the risk, but it does lower it.

4. This was a one time occurrence. That lowers the risk considerably as well.

5. Since you ended with a condom, I am assuming that he did not ejaculate inside of you without a condom. Pre-ejaculatory fluid can transmit the virus, but the greatest risk would be if your partner had ejaculated inside of you.

I would suggest an HIV test at the 90 day mark just to be certain. I am confident the result will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Is Throat dryness a symptom of HIV?
Next
HIV transmission (non-sexual contact)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.