Broken condom unkown partner status

8 days ago I had sex with a guy whom HIV status is unkown to me. We started by having safe sex, but in a change of position I noticed that the condom broke. I change the condom right away since I was active. We were using water base lubricant, and I am always check that the condom does not have air in it, so I dont know why it broke. Anyways, I asked my partner about his clinical history and he said that he had checked himself 3month ago and that he was clean of any STD. He told me that he always have safe sex and that he is mostly a top. I asked him if he would go and get a quick HIV test with me but he refused it by saying that he know people on the health care industry (cause he work in a hospital) and that he does want to be exposed. He told me he would get tested at a regular doctors' visit and he would let me know about the results. Is this a high risk situation? he was not bleeding when we were having penetration. I am worry. Thanks for the help. What are the probabilities of getting hiv by being an anal active?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Overall, I'd say that the likelihood of HIV transmission was fairly low. Here is why:

1. You were the insertive partner. The insertive/active partner is at a much lower risk than the receptive/passive partner.

2. You started with a condom, and ended with a condom. The amount of time that you were at a higher risk is unknown, but it was likely not too long.

3. He self-reported as being HIV negative as of three months ago. This does not eliminate the risk, but it does lower it.

4. This was a one time occurrence. That lowers the risk considerably as well.

5. Since you ended with a condom, I am assuming that he did not ejaculate inside of you without a condom. Pre-ejaculatory fluid can transmit the virus, but the greatest risk would be if your partner had ejaculated inside of you.

I would suggest an HIV test at the 90 day mark just to be certain. I am confident the result will be negative.

In health,

Richard

Is Throat dryness a symptom of HIV?
HIV transmission (non-sexual contact)