hiv virus

sir i m very much in mental pain i want 2 ask u how long hiv survive outside body in blood when it is presnt between 2 pieces of wood nailded together and there is no air between these pieces to kill hiv .can hiv survive over year in such situation? i m from india please help me my carpainter was hiv positive .i have read air is necessary to kill hiv outside body what about this case between 2 pieces of wood in cpboard where air cant reach .

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there Outside a body, the HIV virus is fragile and dies within minutes if it is allowed to dry up. HIV can survive longer in environments where blood or semen is allowed to remain moist (inside a syringe for example). However, even in the case of wood nailed together, any blood would dry over the period of a year. I'm unclear if there is a specific reason why you are concerned about this but I can see no reason to be concerned about HIV transmission from the carpenter. Take care, LHW

How long does HIV survive outside the body wet or dried?
ART worker