How long does HIV survive outside the body wet or dried?

Essentially my father in law lives with us (we take care of him) He is HIV positive. This morning when I used the bathroom and stood up there was blood on the toilet seat which I sat on. I have researched as much as I can and the numbers are anywhere from seconds to 7 hours. Please help.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there Viruses alive inside cells and must have the nutrients of a cell to remain alive. Outside a body, the virus is fragile and dies within minutes if it is allowed to dry up. HIV can survive longer in environments where blood or semen is allowed to remain moist (inside a syringe for example). However, to contract HIV, the fluid needs to enter inside your body and it is very unlikely that this happened by simply sitting on the toilet seat. Take care, LHW

Herpies
hiv virus