Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Herpies
Oct 21, 2012

How Long does herpies stay dormant in your body. My husband is 62 yrs old and I am 52 yrs old he just got dianosed with herpies. We have been together 27 yrs I go to find out next week if I have it also. I am devistated and can you get it any other way than sexual contact genital herpies i

Response from Dr. Young

Hello,

Herpes virus is the cause of genital herpes and the common cold sore. While HSV type 1 is typically associated with oral lesions and type 2 with genital, either can cause infections at either site, so someone with cold sores can transmit HSV1 to the genitals via oral sex and vice versa.

Once infected, the virus lives with us for life- sometimes causing recurrent symptoms and in some individuals, without symtoms or outbreaks.

So, I can't tell you if your husband's herpes is a new infection or recurrence of long-dormant infection. Perhaps time for a heart-to-heart, but there's no way medical science can tell you the answer.

Good luck, BY

Previous
my boyfriend was biten
Next
How long does HIV survive outside the body wet or dried?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.