Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Abbott Architect Combo Assay question Dr. Wohl
Oct 21, 2012

Doctor, almost five months ago i had a low risk exposure involving deep kissing and more or less 15 seconds of protected oral sex with an exotic dancer. She also rubbed my dick protected in her vagina once before oral sex took place. She provided and put the condom on me, didn't brake. All this was a stupid thing to do.

So far i have had 5 negative results with the HIV Abbott Architect Combo assay at 6, 9, 12, 14 and 16 weeks.

I also had negative results at 12 weeks for HBsAg with the Roche Elecsys and negative results with the Abbott CMIA for total HBcAb. HBsAb was 0.00. For total anti HCV with the Abbott CMIA the result was also negative. All tests were done in the same lab ISO certified.

Deep kissing is a concern for Hepatitis B and C because i had a very bad molar and my gum was swollen in that area, i also had a not painful canker sore inside my cheek. No bleeding gums by the way.

So, my questions are:

1- Are my negative results for Hep B and C conclusive?

2- Is it possible to test negative at 12 weeks for HBsAg and still be infected with hep B?

3- Do i have to take another HIV test at 6 months? I can wait one more month if it's necessary, same for Hep B and C to be 100%

4- Is the HIV Abbott Architect Combo assay an easy test to perform? i'm afraid of false negatives due to human error from the lab staff.

My life is in your hands, i don't want to be a danger to others, i'm afraid, thank you Doctor.

Response from Dr. Wohl

My answers are:

So, my questions are:

1- Are my negative results for Hep B and C conclusive? Yes

2- Is it possible to test negative at 12 weeks for HBsAg and still be infected with hep B? No. Are you sure you are not already immune?

3- Do i have to take another HIV test at 6 months? I can wait one more month if it's necessary, same for Hep B and C to be 100%

No, your risk was almost zip and your testing to date has been extensive. Accept that you are negative.

4- Is the HIV Abbott Architect Combo assay an easy test to perform? i'm afraid of false negatives due to human error from the lab staff.

I can't address this but with all that testing you would have to have some pretty incompetent lab techs. See above, you are negative.

DW

Previous
PEP taking
Next
the last stages before dying

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.