Early aged homosexual experiences. What is my risk?

Hey.

Even though I have not told this to anyone, its been nagging at me for a while and i would like to find out the risk of it.

When i was younger (maybe 11-12) i had sexually experimented with a friend of mine who was also male. We had no idea about STDs and what not. Anyway, during the fooling around there was anal sex, but there was no lubrication so there was no deep penetration and there was also no ejaculation from either of us who tried. What is the risk that I may have contracted something from this experience?

Thanks.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

If the anal sex was unprotected, then there was a risk for HIV transmission. Was your friend also 11-12 at the time? Were you a virgin at the time? Was your friend? The only way I would be able to say that there was no risk would have been if you were both virgins. Since I don't know that, I can't say.

I am not sure how old you are now, but my concern for you is that you don't mention having been tested for HIV and other STD's at any point since that time.

My suggestion is that anyone who is sexually active in any way be tested for all STD's, including HIV at least once a year, preferably every six months. I like the idea of six month testing for a couple of reasons...

One, you have a more recent snapshot of your health. Some STD's are transmitted via skin-to-skin contact. Even if you use a condom you can still be at risk. Knowing your status more frequently can be helpful, especially when having conversations with potential sexual partners.

Two, being tested every six months should offer an opportunity for you to talk about your sexual behaviors, and the risks they pose. If you are being tested in a facility that doesn't take the time to do a risk-assessment with you then you I would advise you to seek out a new testing facility. As an HIV tester, one of the greatest services I can offer my clients in the testing room is a personalized risk-assessment in a non-judgmental fashion.

I hope this helps.

In health,

Richard

Stressful handshake
Door knob