Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lost no compass
Oct 15, 2012

Dr

I come to you extremely lost.

On march 1, 2012.I had a low risk, received protected oral and fingered her with cut. I have tested using rapid antibody tests many times since then. (2 times a month every month since this risk, most recently yesterday)

My problem is i had a sinus a infection from oct 2011 till april 2012.I had to take alot of antibiotics to kill it.I have suffered with sinus disease for 25 years.I went to a Immunoligist who tested my igg, iga and my igm.All levels were normal.He said i didnt need subtypes checked.He also stated if i had a immune defficiency antibody tests wouldnt work.I immediately thought that ALL the risks i tested for in my lifetime may NOT have been caught on the antibody tests. I FREAKED OUT.

On May 4, 2012 i saw an infectious disease Dr.I told her my concerns about antibody tests not working on me and she ordered an HIV1 PCR RNA quantitative test.Results were negative or undetected.

Fast forward to September 2012.I had a headache for the entire month.I went back to the ID Dr on sept 26. She said she would do one more set of tests.She ordered an HIV RNA bDNA quantitative non graph (for hiv1) and an HIV 2 PCR DNA.Both results were negative / undetectable.Dr told me i need a psychiatrist.She wont order more tests i am negative.

On October 8, 2012 i got a cold which now has turned to a sinus infection.I went to the dr today oct 13 and he prescribed an oral steroid for 6 days.He said i have a sinus infection.He checked my glands in many locations and said only one gland on right side of chin is swollen.

1.Could my month long headache and now sinus infection with one swollen gland be symptom of HIV /ARS?

2.Could all my tests have missed infection?

3. Do i need more tests?

4. Can i sleep with my wife and let this go? (I have not since march 2012)

Thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- I agree wholeheartedly with your ID dr. First, you are most assuredly not infected with HIV. I also agree that this concern seems to be something that you are preoccupied with and professional help (a psychiatrist) is likely needed at this point. Take care and I hope you consider help so you can move on.

LHW

Previous
ELISA repeatedly reactive Western Blot non-reactive
Next
Eye massage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.