Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Feeling unwell
Oct 14, 2012

Hey,

First of all I hope you are all well! I have 2 questions if I may? First one could be seen as a tad weird but I can be a tad paranoid ( probably not an uncommon trait here ) I slept with a girl 3 years ago and foolishly had unprotected sex. She told me that she could'nt get pregnant hence why we didn't use protection..obviously still foolish! Anyways I watched a documentarty a few weeks back where a guy had a sex change and slept with 100's of men who never knew that she was a guy (even after the deed) It got me thinking would I be more at risk if this person I slept with 3 year was like this? I know after writing this..it totally sounds insane but still a question that I like to have answered. At the time I was totally inexperienced but everything was where it should be..she even pointed out where her clit was which was probably a damning review of my skills back then ;) Anyways just thought I'd ask as I read guy/guy action makes you more at risk. I also got tested roughly 23 days after the incident and came back negative.

Lastly over the last 6 months I've had a few bouts of the cold and the flu for like a week! I've had a sore throat thats been on and off over the last month? Would these be common signs of hiv/aids infection?

Once again I know these things may come across as a tad wacky,paranoid but I thought I'd ask anyways if you dont mind!

Thanks very much for your time and have a great weekend!

Mark.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

1. If she had been born a male, that would not increase your risk. Anal sex is riskier than vaginal sex. This is why HIV affects the gay population so heavily. Globally however, the virus affects more heterosexuals than homosexuals. In addition, it would be just as risky for a women to have unprotected anal sex as it would be for a man to have unprotected anal sex.

2. Your 23 day test was not long enough to get a conclusive test result. You need to wait 90 days for a conclusive test result. Furthermore, you should be tested at least once a year. It sounds like you haven't been tested in three years. Unless you have been abstinent the past three years, you are seriously overdue for a test. In addition to testing for HIV at least once a year, you should be testing for all other STD's as well.

3. Your cold and flu have nothing to do with what happened three years ago.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Am I Hiv positive?
Next
Thanks a Lot

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.