Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I Hiv positive?
Oct 14, 2012

Good day Richard,

I have the following sickness symptoms: 1. Started with flu (Went away after Doctor's visit) 2. Sore throat which wont go away (2 months now) 3. Occasional coughing (wet) 4. Pain on my left arm, especially joints 5. Occasional diarrhea 6. Painless sore on my penis and inside my mouth. 7. Occasional headache

I have looked these up and they point to HIV+. I had unprotected sex 2 months ago. I am now worried I may have contracted the HI virus.

Please advise.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Symptoms alone are not enough for an HIV diagnosis. You will need to go in for an HIV test if you want a conclusive answer. By 28 days, most people who are infected will show up positive on an anti-body test. If you like, you could go in for an initial test now. If that test comes back negative, you could go in for a final test at the 90 day mark. I would expect the result to be the same.

In regards to the painless sore on your penis and in your mouth. That could be Syphilis. The primary symptom of Syphilis is a painless sore called a chancre that appears at the site of the infection. Common places are inside the mouth, and anywhere in the boxer short region. If can imagine all the areas that a pair of boxer shorts would cover, that is where a chancre can appear. I would suggest a full round of STD screenings at the 90 day mark.

In the event of a positive diagnosis, I would suggest looking through our Just Diagnosed section. It offers a wealth of information for anyone who has just been diagnosed. An HIV diagnosis, while life-changing, is not the end. For many of us, HIV has become a manageable, chronic illness. With the proper medication, and commitment to a healthy lifestyle, a person who is diagnosed with HIV today, can expect to live well into their 60's and above. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Richard, why you never answer me! PLEASE!
Next
Feeling unwell

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.