Drinking Piss

My partner is a 50 Y.O. gay man who has been poz x 28 years. He is healthy, undetectable, and fully adherent to HAART. I am also 50, HIV negative, and we have a rich sex life. We do not have sex with other men. Recently, we both started getting into piss play and I started drinking his piss and am really enjoying it. I know its safer on me than in me, but can we continue to have fun in this way? I really hope so :-) THANKS

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. There are no known cases of HIV transmission via urine, so in that regard I think you're safe to continue with said activities. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can both be transmitted via urine, but since you are both in a monogamous relationship, the risk is non-existent. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) can also be transmitted via urine, although I would consider that to be a higher risk for your partner since he is HIV positive. Overall, I think the risks associated with this activity are fairly low, but would suggest that you consider all the risks before making a decision to continue drinking his urine.

For more information on the risks associated with watersports, check out this post.

In health,

Richard

Rapid finger stick 3.5 - 4.5 months post oral sex exposure
HIV from surface when other person is bleeding