The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Drinking Piss

Oct 14, 2012

My partner is a 50 Y.O. gay man who has been poz x 28 years. He is healthy, undetectable, and fully adherent to HAART. I am also 50, HIV negative, and we have a rich sex life. We do not have sex with other men. Recently, we both started getting into piss play and I started drinking his piss and am really enjoying it. I know its safer on me than in me, but can we continue to have fun in this way? I really hope so :-) THANKS

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Thanks for writing in. There are no known cases of HIV transmission via urine, so in that regard I think you're safe to continue with said activities. Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can both be transmitted via urine, but since you are both in a monogamous relationship, the risk is non-existent. Cytomegalovirus (CMV) can also be transmitted via urine, although I would consider that to be a higher risk for your partner since he is HIV positive. Overall, I think the risks associated with this activity are fairly low, but would suggest that you consider all the risks before making a decision to continue drinking his urine.

For more information on the risks associated with watersports, check out this post.

In health,


Rapid finger stick 3.5 - 4.5 months post oral sex exposure
HIV from surface when other person is bleeding

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint