Rapid finger stick 3.5 - 4.5 months post oral sex exposure

Hi Dr. , Question for you. I was involved in a brief sexual relationship. This man and I had consistently protected vaginal sex with condoms. However, I also had oral sex with this man 3 times, one time of which he ejaculated in my mouth. After we broke up, I went for a rapid HIV test with use of a finger stick detection test. The result was negative. I was with this man from 3/2012 until 4/2012, really less than 1 month. The rapid HIV test was done on 8/3/2012. I think this would be anywhere from 3.5-4.5 months after unprotected oral sex. Do I need another test to make sure this is in fact a true negative? Also, I should mention I have celiac disease. Could the celiac disease affect the results of the rapid HIV testing and be a "false negative"? I am in a new monogamous relationship and have asked my partner to obtain HIV and STD testing which he agreed to. Then, I couldnt help but wonder. Should I obtain another HIV antibody test or RNA test? I was reading that some inidivuals dont test + for the antibody until 6 months post-exposure? Thanks! jen

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi Jen:

Celiac would not affect your HIV test results. In your case, the three month window would be considered conclusive. The six month window is only for certain situations, not the general public. For instance, when folks are simultaneous exposed to hepatitis C and HIV or when folks have previously received experimental HIV vaccines, then the standard three month window might not apply. Your risk for HIV was not that high to begin with, and I do not think you were at risk for Hepatitis C.

Bottom line: You can trust the results of your HIV test. You are HIV negative.

In health,

Richard

Are my Safe Sex techniques going too far?? Others should read too.
Drinking Piss