Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried sick about possible infection
Oct 10, 2012

Six weeks ago I performed oral sex on a woman in Thailand after some mutual masturbation.

I have been experiencing high stress and anxiety worrying about a possible HIV infection. My symptoms have been:

1. 3-4 days after exposure developed a dry cough that still remains after six weeks.

2. 8 days later developed runny nose and itchy eyes maybe a mild fever. This reoccured one week later for a day.

3. 3 weeks after exposure I have been experiencing an uncomfortable squashing discomfort in my groin area.Not sure if my glands are swollen but I have a small crease on my right side just above where my pubic hair ends (Looks like I have a small pin under my skin)and another on the left side but probably 5cm higher then the other side going up towards my belly button. I have no visible swollen glands under my armpits but had a sharp pain down my right arm for one day only. As for my neck area maybe slight swelling under my left ear lobe but might be paranoid.

The pain in my groin coincided with me returning to my work which involves heavy lifting.

I had an ultra sound yesterday of the groin area which showed tightness in the groin only.

4. I have had two single days of diahorea one after a big drinking night the other after some dodgy takeaway.

5. I have not notice a high fever but regularly wake up with the hair on the back of my neck wet.

6. Headaches and fatigue, nothing major my neck has felt a little tight causing mild headaches maybe caused by my concern.

I would have to say my major concern is the continuing dry cough and discomfort in the groin area.

I telephoned my local Sexual Health Clinic to organise a test but when I explained the circumstances surrounding the possible infection the man laughed and said I could not have HIV and gave me another number to call who had more time to discuss with me. I called the other number and the woman said that HIV isn't that easy to catch and my chances are almost impossible.

My question is:

1. Given the symptoms described do I have a genuine concern for HIV infection?

2. Does it sound like my groin glands are swollen and would an ultrasound of this area show this?

3. When should I get tested for HIV?

Your time and expertise is very much appreciated!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I do not think this was a high-risk situation in the slightest. We know that oral sex is a lower-risk activity. I do not think you need to test for this incident. Below are the answers to your questions.

1. Your symptoms have nothing to do with HIV. Furthermore, we must also look at the actual risk when trying to determine the likelihood of infection.

2. I'm not a doctor, so I couldn't say. If the pain and tightness continues then I would suggest another visit to the doctor to determine the cause.

3. Again, you do not need to be tested for this incident in particular. I do suggest that every sexually active person be tested for all STD's, including HIV at least once a year, preferably every six months.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Boyfriend hax intercourse with HIV+ female
Next
hiv positive girl pls pls answer to me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.