Chlamydia

I have for 20 years had vaginal burning,itching & discharge and have seen a Dr. for it many times with no clear diagnosis with the exception of yeast or UTI on occasion.

My husband and I had been separated for about a year and during this time I had unprotected relations with someone. I developed the burning, itching and discharge again but didn't think much about it b/c I have had it off and on for many years. However, I wanted to be sure so I went in to have tests for STD's but, everything came back negative, because I continued to have the symptoms, I was checked a couple more times and again all was negative. The symptoms seemed to resolve as they always had. 3-4 months later my husband and I got back together and have since been in a monogamous relationship. However, shortly after we got back together I began having symptoms again. I went back to the Dr was tested for STD's which were negative again. About two to three weeks later I went back in to see the Dr for vaginal burning, itching & bloody discharge & was diagnosed with chlamydia. Just weeks before the diagnosis,I had used the restroom several times at night clubs as well as in the home of a friend who is gay (his partner passed from HIV/AIDS). My question is, can you get chlamydia, HIV or any other STD from sitting on the toilet seat if someone with an STD urinated on it? Although the tests continue to be negative and I know my Dr probably thinks I am OCD, I know there has to be a reason b/c there is symptoms. Is there something my Dr. is not seeing?

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there- One of the most common myths regarding HIV and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs) is the fear of infection from toilets (toilet seats, toilet water, etc.). Put very simply, you cannot get HIV, nor any other STDs, from toilets. While I am not an expert in the symptoms you are describing, it does seem like this may have become a significant preoccupation for you and working with a provider that can help seems prudent. Take care, LHW

watery stool after taking azithromycin
In Regards To Anal Warts (Please Respond ASAP)