Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

the function of the C-line in HIV rapid test?
Oct 7, 2012

my last risky exposure was on September 2011 and I did HIV rapid test last month.. it came out with only single line at C zone.. however, I feel like I have performed the test inaccurately.. the blood didn't touch the base but when I put the diluent, they did mix.. so I heard that the C line indicates that we have performed the test correctly and our blood has migrated throughout the strip.. do u think my result is conclusive enough? what is the chance of getting a false negative result? and what is the function of C zone actually and how does it work?

plus I have somekind of hairy leukoplakia and seborrheic dermatitis... maybe they are not due to HIV? and as far as I;m concerned, I never had any acute symptoms....

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

The "C" line is the control line. When the "C" line appears that tells us that the test worked correctly. A single line in the control area tells us the following:

1. The test worked properly.

2. The result is negative.

Based on the information you are telling me, I believe the test was accurate. You are negative from this incident. Seborrhoeic dermatitis has nothing to do with HIV. Hairy leukoplakia could be present in someone with a severely compromised immune system as seen in individuals with HIV. However, it's unlikely that your immune system would be so severely compromised in such a short time.

Bottom line: I would trust the result of the test. You are negative from this incident. I would suggest a visit to a dermatologist and doctor if the seborrhoeic dermatitis and hairy leukoplakia continue.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Herpes help please!
Next
HIV Risk from Non-sexual Massage

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.