Indeterminate HIV result

I had unprotected receptive anal sex 4 months ago. I just got my HIV results back from an anonymous hiv test - ELISA positive, IFA indeterminate. I had syphilis 6 years ago so my RPR is reactive. I don't have symptoms of acute hiv. What are my odds on this being seroconversion? False positive? What am I looking at? How soon should I retest?

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

Unprotected receptive anal sex is certainly one of the more riskier activities a person can engage in. If your partner ejaculated inside of you, that increased the risk. It being a one-time occurrence lowers the likelihood that transmission occurred, but does not eliminate it. My hope is that we are dealing with a false-positive ELISA.

I would suggest additional testing to help determine your true status. Indeterminate Western Blot test results occur for a number of reasons. If you are in the process of seroconverting, a reactive Western Blot can usually be obtained with another test. Another ELISA and Western Blot should help clear up the confusion. Is it possible to get in touch with your sexual partner? If so, that might also help shed some light on the situation.

In the event that further testing reveals a positive result, I would encourage you to check out our Newly Diagnosed section. Being diagnosed with HIV can be scary. The resources on this site can you navigate this new chapter in your life.

Being diagnosed with HIV is a game-changer, but the game is far from over. The medications available today have turned HIV into a manageable, chronic illness for so many of us. With the right support system, attention to health and wellness, and a positive attitude, a person with HIV can absolutely thrive. I am living proof.

Please keep me posted on your situation. Mark the subject line "UPDATE on my situation". Good luck.

In health,

Richard

ARS Rash after protected sex
urgent question please,,,,,so worried