The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Flu vs ARS

Sep 30, 2012

Hi, I am not sure if there is a definitive answer to my question. I also understand getting tested is the only way to be sure. Anyway, here it goes..

If I get slight fever, sore throat, 1-4 ulcers whenever I have flu/cold (ulcer may be resulting because of medicine I take), then if any day I do experience ARS symptoms will they be fever,sore throat, ulcer again? All I want to ask is will my anti bodies handle ARS virus in same manner they handle Flu? Or can I expect other symptoms as well?

I handle bikes, sometimes bikes after accident. Just trying to be careful.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

There is a definite answer to your question, but probably not in the way you may think. "Flu-like symptoms" are basically what your body has when it's sick with something. It's a general set of symptoms. Comparing symptoms between what happens when someone first gets HIV and when someone gets a flu just doesn't work out. There are way too many ways that general flu-like symptoms may or may not play out in a person's body.

The real question is whether someone was at risk for HIV, and if they were, then what's the result once they get tested.

Hope this helps!


P.S. Even if you were handling bikes that were in accidents involving HIV positive, there wouldn't be any risk. None.

hiv question.. help
Can I get hiv from one night stand anal sex with a gay?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint