what is the risk of transmission?

Hello Forum Experts, I really appreciate the great work you are doing here, please keep it up Writing from Nigeria, I have been positive and on meds for the past 5 years--all this time I have lived with my family However, just yesterday while I was making lunch, I got a tin of tomato paste from the refrigerator but I couldn't get any paste out because it was ice-cold My brother offered to help and in the process had a slight cut from the sharp circumference of the tin, later, I also observed I had suffered a very slight cut too---paper-thin and did not bleed immediately It could have been 15 seconds between the cut I had and his It was a round tin, so we could have been injured at different points, however I have been very restless since then and afraid if that is a possible means of transmission

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

It's very important to remember that HIV is a relatively hard virus to transmit and can not by transmitted through casual simple contact. It doesn't sound like this situation has any risk in it.

While you both may have cut yourselves, the important thing is that your cuts don't sound severe, deep, and bloody. There would need to be significant amounts of blood and a significant opening (cut) in your brother's hand. Sounds like that didn't happen.

On top of all that, you're on your meds! Consistent treatment would generally make you less infectious to others.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Worrying about STD
hiv question.. help