Testing

Hello, I tested for HIV 19 weeks post exposure. My exposure was that I received unprotected oral sex. I know my risk is low risk but I'm still scared, especially since I did contract genital herpes with this act. Is a 19 week negative test conclusive? Should I still worry about it. I've been feeling week and diharrea for the past two weeks. I'm afraid the test somehow didn't catch it. Thank you!

Hi The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again.

You are correct that oral sex carries the lowest risk of HIV transmission. Your symptoms that you are experiencing may be due to stress or the consequences of the Herpes. If the symptoms do not go away I would recommend following up with your health care provider to see if something else may be going on.

Question about oral swab test
Worry Wort!!!!!