Question about oral swab test
Sep 30, 2012
I have a few questions about the oral swab HIV 1/2 test. I just had one done, which was new for me. The test was negative!!!! My question now is...
1. Is this test as accurate as a blood test? 2. Does a negative result need confirmatory test by a blood test? 3. Is the test designed to be user error proof (i.e. if there was not enough fluid or lack of fluid on the swab), would the test indicate this?
Thank you so much for all of you answers and God Bless you all for all the work that all of you are doing!
Response from Ms. Southall
Hi The oral test is just as accurate as the blood test. A negative result does not require any additional testing, though a positive result does require confirmatory results. A positive oral test is called preliminary positive and hence needs the confirmatory. There is a control marker on the test to show that it has been done correctly.
The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again.
Be well and stay safe, Shannon
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- How Do People Find Out They're Hiv Positive?
- Can Hiv Be Transmitted Outside The Host's Body?
- Will There Ever Be A Cure For Hpv Genital Warts Infection?
- What Should You Do If You Think You Have Herpes On Lip?
- What Does It Mean To Be Exposed To Herpes?
- What Causes Trichomoniasis Vaginitis?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.