Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I stepped on a hypodermic needle while i was at the beach.
Sep 29, 2012

today i was at the beach fishing and i was bare feet and i was walking to my fishing rod and then i felt a pain on the bottom of my right foot by the heel, i thought it was like a broken piece of glass and when i lift my foot up it was a hypodermic needle stuck in my foot, i quickly took it out and i stepped on the sand but i didnt noticed any blood,the needle was bent in a 90 degree angle like it was purposely set it up to hurt someone. but the pain of the needle had me worried the entire time. i know for fact that the needle is more than a day old because i was at the same spot the day before and i noticed a needle but i didn't really think that it would hurt anybody. can i contract hiv or anything deadly from this incident at the beach? and what should i do, because i didn't even tell my parents, the only person that knows is my best friend because he was looking at my when i shrieked and he saw the needle when i lifted up our feet. and we dispose of the needle before it hurt someone else.

Response from Dr. Wohl

I am not sure what age you are but if you are less than 18 years old, I ask you to please tell your parents or a trusted adult about this exposure. As it seems you know, the risk of any infection seems very low given the needle and syringe were on the beach a long time. However, a medical professional should take a full history and make a decision about need for any testing, a tetanus shot and such.

DW

Previous
Contact with HIV / AIDS infected persons.
Next
dying plz help me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.