Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

intense burning
Sep 26, 2012

Hi, I think you guyz are doing great job. I am sure you have heard this question many times: 5 weeks post exposure. 1)Can HIV rash feel as burning on upper back, buttocks and arms? 2)Do you always have a visible rash or is it possible to have have intense burning and visible rash except scratchmarks? 3)Is it possible to have burning sensation come and go throughout the day for several days? 4)42 days ago I had a potential exposure and I had fatigue that started 30 days post exposure, than few very itchy bumps(33 days post exposure), on my legs and buttocks. followed by intense burning sensation at 36 days (post exposure) on my buttocks, upper back (39 days post exposure), neck burning (42 days post exposure). Is it consistent with ARS? Is it due to anxiety? I will get tested at 8 weeks.

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

1) Yes

2) The itching and burning would be a symptom of the rash. If you don't have the rash, you would not have the burning or itching.

3) Along with the rash itself, yes.

4) No. The rash would be part of a collection of symptoms that would likely include a fever. ARS commonly feels like you are experiencing the flu.

You don't mention what your risk was, so I cannot comment on the likelihood of infection. Your best bet is to get tested at the 90 day mark. You could certainly go in for an initial test now. Most people will show up positive by 28 days. If you went in for a test now, I would expect your 90 day test to be negative as well. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

Previous
HIV infection doubts
Next
HIV test. Please guide me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.