Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Positive ELISA, Negative WesternBlot, 8 Days after exposure
Sep 24, 2012

Hello Expert Team,

I had unprotected sex with a girl whose sexual past I do not know. The sex lasted for no more than 5 seconds (I did not know she would force the issue of unprotected sex as we were fooling around. I immediately stopped. Lesson learned.) I went in for a sex test 8 days after possible exposure and all STD tests came back negative, except for the ELISA test which was reported as "reactive". The Western Blot test was negative and the health care provider informed me that I tested as "False Positive".

Is it possible to detect HIV antibodies 8 days after exposure? This is the only possible exposure I've had in 5 years. My next test is in two weeks with my primary care physician. The false positive has me experiencing a great deal of anxiety (and shame) even though my doctor has told me not to worry/stress.

Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Wohl

I agree that the ELISA is likely false positive. Repeat testing as advised makes sense. DW

Previous
HUMBLE REQUEST TO HELP ME
Next
Hiv blood test (Syringe) vs drug injection

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.