Risk of exposure from brief unprotected vaginal sex

I recently had a sexual encounter with a man that I have learned from other may have a history of sex with men. What is especially concerning is that for a brief moment (>30 seconds) we engaged in unprotected vaginal sex, before utilizing a condom. I have no evidence that he is HIV positive, but am concerned that if it is true that he does have a history of sex with men, it is more likely that this is the case than it would be otherwise. I plan to get tested after three months anyway but would like to have some sort of idea of how high my risk is, assuming he is HIV positive. I have no other STDs and no other HIV risk factors.

Thank you.

Hi though it is easy to judge someone by their past actions, it doesn't always mean that HIV is present. But of course yes receiving HIV testing is the only way to truly put your mind at ease. The guidelines for HIV testing are to be initially tested at 3 weeks then again at 3 months, if both of these tests are negative then so are you, as long as there were no other types of exposure during that 3 month period, if so then the timing starts over again.

From what you have described the chance of HIV transmission occurring is very small and would feel confident that your HIV testing will confirm this for you.

Anxiety over HIV and Oral Sex
Possible HPV Infection Please Help!