Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pricked by safety pin
Sep 16, 2012

A few years ago,, one of my friends jokingly poked me with what a remember being a safety pin( although it could of been a simple needle) and it did cause a small amount of blood to come out. The wound was very small, only the size of the needle tip. Could it have been possible for me to be infected with HIV from this? I dont know if she previously poked herself with the same safety pin right before poking me or if she poked other people as well. Please help!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

It sounds very unlikely that your friend went on a needle poking spree that ended with you being poked with a needle that had HIV on it. That being said, transmission of HIV via needle sticks are typically seen with a hollow-bore needle. Hollow-bore needles allow for sufficient enough quantities of blood to be transferred from the HIV positive person to the HIV negative person, resulting in transmission. This was not a hollow-bore needle stick and I do not think you were at risk.

If you are concerned about your risk then you can certainly go for an HIV test. You are well outside the three month testing window. Furthermore, if it has been more than a few years since your last HIV test then you are definitely due for one.

In health,

Richard

Previous
A Question I Can't Find!!!!
Next
hi dr

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.