Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV risk with pre-cum?
Sep 16, 2012

Hello Dr.

I recently had a sexual encounter with someone I only knew for a few hours. I didn't necessarily know much about their sex history. I was told they were disease free, but after the encounter, he told me he slept with another man two days ago.

While the condom we used did not break, is it possible that I could have an STD if pre cum got on the condom? (Although it likely would of died, I'd imagine if it were exposed to air and mixed with actual lube?) My main concern is getting an STD from oral sex, in particular HIV. I gave him oral sex and there was some pre-cum. I didn't brush my teeth before hand, but I did about thirty minutes afterwards and noticed my gums were bleeding? I did not come in contact with this man's semen at all, he came on my chest, I wiped it off, and that was that. Thanks for your time!

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

I would not be concerned about HIV transmission in this case. The risk of transmission from oral sex is low. Other STD's such as Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and Herpes can be transmitted via oral sex.

I do not think you need to be tested for this incident in particular. However, it is important that you are screened for all STD's at least once a year, and preferably every six months.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Scared Father and Husband after unprotected sex with prostitute!!
Next
Gay Massage / Hemorrhoids

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.