The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared Father and Husband after unprotected sex with prostitute!!

Sep 16, 2012


First of all, thank you for your wonderful site of information and taking the time to answer my question.

3 days ago I had unprotected vaginal sex with a prostitute. Long story short, I had too much to drink at a strip club and one thing led to another and I used NO judgement. I know how stupid I was and what a HUGE life mistake Ive made the morality issues are killing me. I'm a loving husband of 10 years with 2 children, and am so upset with myself that I'm not sleeping and am starting to think the absolute worst. Im so scared Im starting to think about drastic measures that I dont want to mention I don't want to lose my marriage and family, so before I must confront my own fate I wanted to ask some questions. Please help!

First-What are my chances of contracting HIV from a one time unprotected incident if she was HIV +?

Second- Will a combined HIV-1 by DNA/PCR (Including HIV-1 Antibody/WB) test be affective as early as 2 weeks from time of incident?

Third-Is there a way for me to see a doctor in confidence and request a post-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP and PEP)? Something such as ATRIPLA to take for 30 days to minimize my risk? Is it still early enough to take this, what is my window?

Fourth- Where should I go to see a doctor ASAP? Local Hospital? General Doctor? Infectious Disease Center?

Please help me I know I must deal with the unbearable guild and suffering, but any advice will be comforting...

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

It is too late for you to take PEP as it must be started within 72 hours. The likelihood in transmission from a one-time incident of penile-vaginal sex would be fairly low. Being the insertive partner lowers your risk even further.

Doing a PCR DNA test will give you a fairly good idea of whether or not transmission occurred. However, an antibody test at the 90 day mark will give you a conclusive result. At 28 days, a negative antibody test is a good indicator of what someone can expect at the 90 day mark.

I do not think you need to go to the hospital. I would just visit your regular doctor, or even a local HIV services clinic where you can get a free, rapid HIV test. Visit to find a testing site near you. Good luck.

In health,


Is frottage safe?
HIV risk with pre-cum?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint