std blood tests and false negatives

Hi,i would like to know if anything can cause false negative results for a blood std test(HIV I,II,Hepatitis B,C,syphillis) except for the time period(is it 3 months?).I assume nothing because when i tested doctors didn't ask me anything except the time period.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

You're right, not waiting enough time can cause a false negative. There are some things, in rare instances, that can cause a test to "mess up" but then the result would be "indeterminate." In those cases the test must be run again.

False negatives are a reality statistically speaking, because nothing in life (including HIV/STD tests) is 100% certain. But our tests come pretty darn close! The tests that are out right now are incredibly good, so you should definitely put your trust in them. If you want to make super sure that the result is true then you can always re-test. But remember, the chances of it being wrong are so incredibly small.. you might as well be worried about getting hit by lightning of a sunny day.

Hope this helps!

Erik

Whats my status?
HIV FROM FOOD, GOING CRAZY