Whats my status?

Hi

The following is my case. I had two possible exposures: 1) Sep 2009 - A stripper gave me blow for a min or so without any condom. At that time, I had no idea about this is also a possible way of getting infected. 2) Nov 2010 - I went to Tijuana, Mexico and with one of the hookers there, the following happened. I was in my underpants, through which she blew me. I had contact with my mouth to her breasts(nipples) a few times. She then ejaculated me with her hand and a day after, I found that there were some tear on my organ under the foreskin (something like wear and tear). No Vaginal/Anal/Oral Intercourse. I am not sure whether any fluid oozed out of her nipples. To my knowledge, I dint see anything distinctly. I had just consumed three beers. But, I quiet clearly remember what happened.

Since that was the one and only time I had risked my life, I just wanted to make sure everything was fine and took an ELISA after two weeks. I was negative. But the doc said, just take once more after 6 months to get rid of this thought.

I had taken the foll tests (In chronological order): 1) Two weeks from exposure :- ELISA 2) 6 months :- CMIA 3) 8 months - CMIA 4) 8 months - Western Blot specific for type I, general for Type II 4) 10 months - CMIA 5) 12 months - CMIA 6) 20 months - CMIA

All the above tests have been negative so far. However, I am clearly describing my concerns below. Please someone help me:

1) I am falling sick more often nowadays. 2) I am getting mild oral ulcers. Frequent dry feeling in mouth and tongue. In turn due to dehydration, my tongue turns white. My ENT says, it doesn look Bad and it might be Geogrophic Tongue. She doesn know about my exposures. 3) Except CMV(Cyto Megalo Virous) I tested negative for all the other STI's. That is, I got positive for a previous CMV infection in the past and tested negative for all the other STI's like Herpes, Chlymida etc.. But, some people say only people with lesser immunity get CMV. Mainly HIV patients. Is CMV really an HIV indicator? 3) Currently, the most recent freak out thing is, I am not able to swallow things properly (discomfort and pricking feeling) for the past one month or so. It feels like somethings there in my throat and sometimes its an mild unclear pain. Also, see mild white patches which goes off and sometimes come. I am fearing of oral candiasis.

My questions: 1)Whatever I did, are these possible exposures? Both the ones in Sep 2009 and Nov 2010. That is oral sex and sucking nipples (She said, she had a baby) 2) Are the tests that I had taken reliable? Should I take PCR or some other test? 3) Some people on the internet are saying, "however people say these tests are not accurate and everyday people are dying due to HIV/AIDS which has not been identified properly by the tests". Is this really true? My confidence is shaken by this statement. 4) I was thinking hat Western Blot is the ultimate confirmatory test. But now, I am reading about PCR now. Is this PCR better than Western Blot?. Should I take PCR? 5) whatever health issues I get(Hoping I should not), however may be it associated with an HIV symptom, should I at all be bothered? Thats what mainly freaks me out. 6) I am depressed and seriously concerned about my future. How much safe am I now?. What should I do to know whether I am good to go or not? I want to know whats happening, very soon. I don wanna wait and some one after 5 years comes and says I am screwed forever. 7) Finally, Like anybody else, can I boldly go ahead and start a family? Is there any chance of this issue creeping back again at any point?

Please Help Me. I am spending sleepless nights over the past two years. I would thank from the bottom of my heart to anyone who helps me.

Response from Mr. Glenn

Thanks for your question,

From everything you're telling me it does not sound like you have HIV. First off your initial exposures were incredibly low-risk for HIV. Second off you got tested with the right tests at the right time. Therefore, we know you did not get HIV.

I'm very sorry to hear about all the heartache and stress this is causing you though.

There's a lot of questions here, however, the most important point is coming across in statements like "that was the one and only time I had risked my life" and "I am spending sleepless nights over the past two years." The amount of stress you're describing and the length of time you've been feeling this way.. it's no surprise that you'd physically be feeling unwell! It's a fact that people who experience long periods of extreme stress will develop physical symptoms of the stress.

Our hope is that you are healthy physically and mentally over the long-term. I would highly encourage you to seek out a mental health professional who can help you develop the skills to get there. It may take time but in the long run it'll be for the best.

Hope this helps!

Erik

P.S. CMV is a lot more common than you may think. For many people nothing will come of it. And your statement is kind of in reverse.. It's NOT that HIV positive people are more likely to get HIV, it's that HIV positive people are impacted greater if they do get it.

Intact condom
std blood tests and false negatives