Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Feeling Bad - need an expert's opinion
Sep 12, 2012

Hello,

8 days ago, I had a mutual masturbation session with another male. We played it safe, but as I was licking his nipple, a shot of ejaculate traveled through the air and landed on the tip of my tongue. I immediately washed my mouth out with warm water. While a very small amount landed on my tongue (literally one drop), I have not felt very well since. A day after the incident, my throat became very irritated and it became difficult to swallow. On the following day, my sinuses began to drain. Three days after the incident, the lymph node in the left portion of my neck throbbed for about 20 seconds, then it stopped. Later, both of the lymph nodes in my neck felt uncomfortable. Five days after the incident, the lymph nodes under my arms became tender and remain tender.

In the interim, Ive spoken with an infectious diseases professional. She told me that there was a very low risk of contracting HIV via this medium, and she took a throat swab and completed a CBC (complete blood count) to quell any doubts I might have had. The swab did not grow any culture after two to three days of observation, and my CBC was fine; WBC, RBD, platelets and the other components looked well and within range.

Im posting because my throat still hurts and the tender lymph nodes under my arms indicate that my body is fighting some form of bacteria or virus. Im terrified that I may have been exposed to HIV based on my current symptoms because theres no other explanation for any of this. By the way, my temperature is running 98.1; slightly elevated but not a fever.

Here are some questions for you: What is the risk of transmission here? How soon after a potential exposure do symptoms of an acute HIV infection appear? How long does HIV survive after exposure to the air? Why are my lymph nodes uncomfortable (keep in mind that they are not swollen)? What tests can I take to find the cause of this immune system response?

Thx

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

1. What is the risk of transmission here? VERY LOW

2. How soon after a potential exposure do symptoms of an acute HIV infection appear? Two to four weeks typically

3. How long does HIV survive after exposure to the air? Less than a minute.

4. Why are my lymph nodes uncomfortable (keep in mind that they are not swollen)? Certain medications can cause pain in the Lymph Nodes. The pain is likely from an infection. I would suggest speaking with your doctor again.

5. What tests can I take to find the cause of this immune system response? Again, I would suggest a visit to your doctor. She will do an assessment of all of your symptoms and determine which tests would be most appropriate.

Bottom line: I do not think this has anything to do with HIV.

In health,

Richard

Previous
Please answer..This has been going on too long.
Next
re testing required?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.