4th Generation HIV test USA

Hi Dr,

I had a potential HIV risk exposure and want to get tested quickly. From extensive internet research/reading your forum I note that the 4th gen antigen/antibody tests are a reliable way of doing this 28 days post exposure. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find anywhere in the USA that offer these types of test. I am in the UK up until 23 days post exposure. My questions are

1. Do you know of any resources that will link me to finding a clinic on the East coast of the US (Washington DC) that would offer 4th gen testing, preferably with same day results?

2. If not would the 4th gen test 23 days post exposure be sufficient?

I would be extremely grateful for a reply, I have exhausted all avenues trying to find somewhere

Response from Mr. Cordova

Hi there:

You can visit http://hivtest.cdc.gov/ to find a testing facility near you. At 23 and 28 days, a negative test result would only be preliminary. By 28 days most people will show up reactive on an antibody test; you must wait until the three month mark for a conclusive result.

I would suggest a test at 28 days. If that test is negative, you can test again at the 90 day mark. I would expect a negative result as well. Good luck.

In health,

Richard

Is There Any Risk Getting HIV?
how fast can you get a positive result on an hiv test?