Hiv window period - addon

Hi Dr.Hightow-Weidman

Earlier today i sent you a question and i just added a note that may be important:

Hi

On April 14 2012 I had a possible Hiv expossure. I got tested three month later(Hiv 1,2 ab's+p24 Ag). The result was negative. After the test i saw that in some places they recommend to wait a 6 month period (if you have an autoimmune disease).

This 6 month window makes me anxiouse because i have hypothyroidism condition and i take Euthyrox. I understood that an autoimmune disease called Hashimoto's thyroiditis is the casue for hypothyroidism. and i'm afraid this autoimune disease disrupted the Hiv test i did.

Another thing- few years ago my immune system failed and because of this i got Pneumonia and i was hospitalized for 2 weeks.

If there is any doubt in the test result i did, i'm willing to wait and do the test again in october 14 in order to complete the 6 month period. If it is required i'll wait even more than 6 month in order to be 100% sure of the result.

By the way, a month ago i asked Dr. David Whol for an help in this issue and i didn't got an answer. this makes me even more anxious because now i'm afraid that even the professionls doctors dont have an answer for my case.

I'll apreciate your help Thanks

*I also wanted to add that few years ago i got Infectious mononucleosis that effected me badly in those days.

Response from Dr. Hightow-Weidman

Hello there

The standard for HIV tests, whether oral swab or blood are very accurate at 28 days, and conclusive at 90 days . Typically 4th generation tests can be presumed to be accurate by 2-3 weeks post exposure. Certainly I would expect it to be accurate at 3 months. When it comes to HIV testing, three months is considered conclusive. Three months would also be a long enough window to get accurate results for other STD's as well.

Take care,

LHW

risk
risk of condon